How dangerous is a staph infection?

By Susan Brewer, Ph.D., University of Illinois,
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition

Staph toxin is an irritant to the stomach and intestines.  The body’s reaction is to immediately reject it via vomiting and diarrhea.  With a severe case (a lot of toxin ingested), continued vomiting and diarrhea can result in dehydration and a drop in blood pressure causing light headedness, and chills.  Most cases of staph intoxication resolve in a relatively short period of time (24 hours) with little or no intervention.
FDA. 2008. Bad Bug Book. “Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms and Natural Toxins Handbook.” Staphylococcus aureus.
Kendall, P. 2008.  “Bacterial food-borne illness.”  Cooperative Extension Service. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.  Fact sheet No. 9.300.



You must be logged in to post a comment or question.

Sign In or Register for free.