Is it safe to eat soft cheese if mold has grown on it?

No. Although most molds on cheese are harmless, some may produce toxins that can migrate into the cheese. Soft cheese such as brie or camembert should be discarded if mold appears to be growing anywhere since these could be poisonous.  Properly storing  cheese in plastic wrap can inhibit mold growth.  


Susan Brewer, Ph.D. University of Illinois, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition


You must be logged in to post a comment or question.

Sign In or Register for free.